Two disclaimers: First, this is a post about a mini-vacay. Thus, it includes a lot of references to booze, because I find booze fascinating, especially when I don’t have to wake up for work the next morning. Second, my regular camera hates me these days. So I used my phone to take all these low-quality pictures. I’m just warning you.
Roswell, New Mexico, is a little city that is literally in the middle of nowhere. It’s claim to fame is that it is the site of a highly publicized (alleged) UFO crash. The town has embraced its theme (aliens) in a way that I have rarely seen of any town, outside of Hershey, PA.
It’s so quirky and weird it can’t help but be fun. I don’t know if I’d want to homestead, but I think I could definitely live in that town for a few years, soaking in all the weirdness. It’s a cool place. Here’s ten reasons why:
1. Hotels post prayers, actual prayers, on the doors of the hotel rooms. I just think that is so nice.
2. Chuck Norris is a syndicated columnist in their newspaper. (And, apparently, he writes columns in “trilogies.”)
I’m talking THE Chuck Norris. The guy whose tears cure cancer. (Too bad he never cries.)
3. Aliens have a myriad of roles here, including but not limited to local weatherman. They also welcome you to KFC and open accounts for you at the bank.
4. Random things are randomly ornate. I never felt so fancy while reaching for a flavored water as I did in Roswell.
5. You can fill your gas tank and buy a half-gallon of vodka in the same place! (Hard liquor is for sale at gas stations.)
7. Alien lamp-posts (What would my beloved C.S. Lewis say?)
8. Signs normally seen on the border, seen instead in upscale Chinese restaurants. (9. Upscale Chinese restaurants)
10. It’s rough, but it’s beautiful.
You should take the AirStream out there sometime.